Wednesday, May 20, 2009

2440 miles, 6 states, 12 days, 3 hotels, 2 homes, 5 different beds, & lots of friends and family

*WARNING: YOU NEED A COMFY CHAIR AND A SNACK......THIS ONE IS LENGTHY!*

Our trip began on Sunday night, May 3rd and ended Friday afternoon, May 15th.........here's a brief overview of everything that happened in between! :)

May 4-6: Nashville, TN
We started our trip in Nashville for Kevin to attend a Minister of Education conference at Lifeway. He was in meetings from 1pm on Monday to 3pm on Wednesday. On Monday, the girls and I got settled into the hotel and got naps and then headed to Franklin to meet Norma Thomas and two of her kids for dinner. Norma is from Tifton and her family is in our church. Although I had never spent any time hanging out with Norma, I felt like I had known her forever! I really appreciated her taking the time to do dinner with me and the girls........it helped to pass our evening and with good company too! On Tuesday, the girls and I walked to the library and attended their story time.....it was really cool! The kids LOVED it and it really made me wish that we had something like that here at home. Tuesday night, we were able to have dinner with Kevin and the others attending the conference. Wednesday, the girls and I met my good friend, Erin and her little girl at the mall for lunch and some shopping. Erin and I worked together in Louisville at Ann Taylor........it was so good to see her and meet Macie!

Here are a couple of pictures from Nashville......this is the storytime at the library..............


May 6-8: Indianapolis, IN
We arrived at Grandma and Grandpa's (Gary and Beth's) on Wednesday evening (after getting some dinner in Louisville at one of our favorite places......The Irish Rover)! On Thursday, we just hung around the house and rested. I ended up taking Claire to the nearby Immediate Care because I knew that she probably had an ear infection. Sure enough, we ended up with 7 days of antibiotics! Friday morning, we loaded up and headed to Spring Arbor.

May 8-10: Spring Arbor, MI
Late Friday morning, the six of us (Gary and Beth and our family) loaded up and started towards Spring Arbor. We ate lunch and arrived at Grandma and Grandpa Kilgore's around 4pm. We enjoyed a nice dinner........Kevin's aunt and uncle, Tom and Jann, joined us as well. Saturday morning, the guys played golf in "not so golf friendly" weather..........I think it ended up being in the high 40s and low 50s on Saturday! So......while the boys golfed, Beth and I ran to Jackson to the Target there and got the girls some tights to wear to church Sunday! Saturday evening, Kevin and I had the privilege of meeting his college roommate and great friend, Steve, and his wife, Heidi, for dinner. They were spending the weekend in Detroit so we met half-way, in Ann Arbor. It was a great time of fellowship.......with our 5 kids too! They have 3 boys. Kevin, Steve, and Heidi have so many memories together from college and I really feel like I've known them for forever! We would love to have the opportunity to hang out with them more often, however the many miles in between us prevent that from happening! We are grateful to them for saving part of their weekend for us!

Here is the only pictures that we have from our night in Ann Arbor.........go figure.......this speaks for itself! :)Sunday morning, we went to church with Grandma and Grandpa and then spent the rest of the day over at Tom and Jann's. The guys prepared a wonderful meal and we were able to see all 4 of Kevin's cousins and their families. I think that there were about 20 people for lunch! We left Spring Arbor Sunday night and headed back to Indianapolis.

Here are a couple of pictures from Sunday..........
May 11-13: Indianapolis, IN
Monday morning, Chloe and I had a date with Kara (Kevin's sister) and her youngest, Alia. The four of us went to the Indianapolis Children's Museum. It was a lot of fun for us all........the girls enjoyed running and squealing with each other and Kara and I enjoyed the time to catch up as well! Monday night, Kara's family joined us for dinner at Gary and Beth's house. It is always fun when all of us get together! Tuesday, we did a little shopping and met Kara, Dave, and the girls up near their house for dinner. We really enjoyed getting to spend some time with them this trip. They'll be packing up and leaving soon to spend the summer in Glacier National Park so we definitely won't get to see them anymore until the fall.

Here are a few pictures of Chloe and Alia at the Children's Museum....

May 13-15: Birmingham, AL
We got up early Wednesday morning and left Indianapolis. This was our longest drive that we did the entire trip......7 hours from Indy to Birmingham. We wanted to get an early start so that it would not seem so bad for the girls. We ended up arriving in Birmingham mid-afternoon and got settled into our hotel before having dinner with some friends of our from seminary. We hung out with this couple a lot while at seminary and it was good to catch up with them since they are now settled into a new life in Birmingham. On Thursday, we met some other seminary friends of ours at the zoo. They have 4 boys.......4 (almost 5) and under.....whew! Never a dull moment at their house! The 10 of us spent a couple of hours at the zoo and had lots of fun. Then, we parted ways for the afternoon so everyone could get naps. Thursday night, Jason and Janna got a sitter and met us for dinner at PF Changs.......mmmm.......one of mine and Kevin's all-time favorites! Birmingham was a good time of catching up with these two families that we haven't seen in a couple of years.

Here are a few pictures from the zoo with the Carriers....
May 15th...........WE CAME HOME.....YAY!!!! We had a great trip and got to see all kinds of family and friends. Thank you to everyone who helped to make it happen by providing a home or rearranging your schedule! Being away is great, but coming home is WONDERFUL! Thanks for reading and staying with me! :)

No comments: